Thursday, January 7, 2010

A new challenge for 2010!

One of the challenges I have found over the last decade is keeping up with current reading - of books. Whereas once I really prided myself on my book knowledge now it is really not very good. Once when an event like the Victorian Premier's Literary Awards came up, I would have read all the short-listed books and had very clear views about them. Nowadays, whilst I retain my interest in books, writing, publishing and book-selling sufficiently to get me along to the PremLit Awards, I'm really pushing my luck to have read one of the short-listed titles.

There are a range of reasons that this has happened to me and exploring that could take a whole book in itself. One of the reasons is the way I source most of my information online and constantly read bites of information. I love things like Twitter and Facebook and the way one can keep so up to date. But I do still read books. I always have a couple of books on the go, but often they are comfortable old favorites. Maybe I read more than I think I do and there is just so much one can read.

So with 2010 starting I have decided to document my reading of books. I am setting myself the target for 2010 to read 52 books. I don't care if they are fiction, non-fiction, dearly loved old favorites or cutting edge just-off-the-press items. Reading books has always been pivotal to my life and I am really curious to know how many I read. Will it be easy to get to 52 or will it be a struggle? How many books do I actually read in a year? How will I change my habits to try to keep more up to date with what is being published?

It is now 7 January and I have read a few books already as I've been on leave. I'll write about them shortly now that I have got around to setting up this blog. In the meanwhile, I've been experimenting with Evernote and noting down the titles there so I won't forget them! Always a geek librarian but proud of it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails