Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Book 9: The Seventh sinner



Yeah right, I am reading. I simply cannot imagine trying to live up to @ladymidnight's aim this year of 365 books! Gulp! I am up to nine and she must be well into 30s. And yes it's still a bit of the old favourites. I can't remember when I first read this Elizabeth Peters which is the first in her series about Jacqueline the librarian. I love this book - as an archaeology loving librarian - and as a mystery reader. I've been to San Clemente - not long after this book was published in 1974 - and I was living at the British School at Athens when it came out so a lot of the stuff is very familiar. I'm not going to do a spoiler and tell the story. Just note that, if you like archaeology, Rome, librarians and crime, it's a great read. There are a number of other Elizabeth Peters books which feature Jacqueline - in various guises.

When I was reading The Seventh sinner I was struck by the following statement by Jacqueline explaining why she read so many mysteries: "Detective stories are among the few types of literature you can pick up and put down a dozen times per day" (The Seventh sinner p97 ). Jacqueline was explaining how she had read them when she was working in a quiet small town US public library. I have never worked in a quiet public library nor have I ever had time to read mysteries on the job, but I do know that when I am stuffed picking up an old favourite mystery is very relaxing and I can pick it up and put it down quite a few times!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails