Monday, December 27, 2010

#blog12daysxmas Dromkeen literary lunch




At Christmas we all have lots of regular things that we do and many of them are related to books and writing. Well, they are for me anyway. One of these is the annual Dromkeen literary luncheon. The City of Boroondara Library Service always has a table at the this event. I love the drive out there (my rule is my car but someone else drives because of my well-known hatred of driving), wandering around the grounds, viewing the peacocks from a distance, looking at the great illustrations in the gallery, hearing the guest speakers, and most of all just spending some time with the fabulous City of Boroondara Library Service Youth Services team.

At the Dromkeen literary lunch the Librarian of the Year is always announced and we at Boroondara are very proud that our own Cathy Mulcahy was runner up in 1996 and some years later in 2004 the Hawthorn Library Youth Services librarian, Rita Fellows won! I always enjoy going to look at the list of librarians and this year I managed to take a photo of Rita standing by the plaque with her name. We are proud of our Rita at Boroondara.

One of the things, however, that always disappoints me at Dromkeen is the lack of attendance by other public librarians. Do other public libraries know about the history and wealth of the illustrations collection at Dromkeen and the enjoyment of going to the literary lunch? I often wonder and feel regret that they are missing out on what is to me a wonderful Christmas experience.

2 comments:

  1. I always used to go to Dromkeen when I was in Children's Services-just loved it. Guess we missed each other back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think more public libraries used to go in past. For some reason this year was very light on. With public librarians, I mean. The lunch was booked out as ever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails