Sunday, December 27, 2015

The Mediterranean diet cookbook #blog12daysxmas Day 3



I wasn't quite sure what to think when I opened a Christmas present and saw this book offering to "prevent heart disease and diabetes, and promote sustainable weight loss". However, it soon transpired that I had been given it as a present because it was basically a Greek cookbook and my brother had bought it for me because it combined two loves of mine: Greece and cooking! I can't complain about that.

And indeed it does. Author Catherine Itsiopoulos does provide an introduction about the so-called Mediterannean diet including the dietary differences in Mediterranean countries. All of that provides an interesting context for the eighty recipes included. 

The recipes are called "Traditional Mediterranean" but as befits someone of the author's background they are mainly Greek with a few Italian interspersed. They are divided into seven chapters: Breakfast and Snacks, Dips and Mezedes, Legumes, Vegetables and Fasting Foods, Soups and Salads, Main Dishes, Fish and Seafood, Biscuits and Sweets. 

There are lots of old favourites here plus some with different twists such as deconstructed moussaka. I have been enjoying reading the book and will enjoy trying out some of her cooking ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails